Monday, July 17, 2006

Bodies, gore and journalism...

Sometimes I wonder, will seeing bodies and gore make me immune to it? I've come across journalists who see these and feel nothing because they're so used to it. After all, in India every other day there are deaths in Kashmir due to grenade attacks, in Maharashtra due to farmers' suicides, then there are the bomb blasts, the fires, the terror attacks, the natural disasters and the list goes on.
I only hope I won't lose the compassion I have and I hope never get 'used to' seeing things like this. I'd like it to remain like this - where these things affect me, even upset me incredibly like they do at the moment....for it means I'm still human and have not been devoured by my profession.

4 comments:

Abhishek Nag said...

post...

Abhishek Nag said...

pictures?

~#shaurya#~ said...

journalism is surely one heck of a job, i mean watching dead bodies burnt in the blasts, crime scenes, murders........these surely fade the sparkle in the eyes, mine for sure....

Anonymous said...

Sensitivity in reporting has sure been lost in the media war in India. Mumbai blasts were one such example. While the channels were vying to air the blast scenes first, for a moment they forgot the pain and anguish the viewers might be feeling. For a frantic wife trying to reach her commuting husband on his cell over the jammed network, these scenes surely didn't provide any ray of hope.
I think the onus needs to be taken by media groups to hold workshops to sensitize their journalists and camera men and bring out the human touch.